One Room Challenge: Week 3

Welcome back for the Week 3 progress update of our Home Office Makeover.  If you missed the first two weeks of my ORC, you can quickly catch up here:  Week 1  |  Week 2!

This week came with very little glitz or glam- matter of fact, NONE.  We assembled our Ikea pieces, glued and screwed them together and set everything up to arrange- no fancy pants pretty stuff going on over here this week.  But, our 2nd largest project was complete, so there’s that…

Early on, I fell in love with the Liatorp Collection from Ikea for it’s lines and (gasp!) beautiful grey color option.  I knew I could use this, coupled with another collection from there, to custom build the perfect workstation I’ve been waiting for since we bought this house.

desk construction 2

Because I wanted to create an ‘L’ workstation with tables, I knew I’d need to come up with a storage plan since I’d be losing all of my drawers.  I purchased 2 of the Liatorp bookcases– to flank each side and style with cute storage boxes.  The bookcase assembly was simple and no alterations were needed.

The desk was the main DIY project.  To create the ‘L’, we used two of the matching Linnmon table tops and legs– 1 of the ‘Small‘ and 1 ‘Large‘.

Here’s the layout plan:

desk construction 3

First, we started by laying everything on the floor and arranging the pieces as they should go, essentially making a ‘T’ with the two table tops.  I had the hubs rip the smaller top, length ways, so that it would match the depth of my bookcases (appx 13.5″ deep).

Since the table tops are virtually hollow (particle board only along the edges and the centers filled with a cardboard honeycomb), we needed to add stability at the seam.

DSC_1026

For that added support, he cut a piece of plywood to brace the two tops at that weakest point.  He pre-drilled holes and inserted anchors for additional ‘grab’ through that interior honeycomb.   *The rough edge you notice above won’t be seen as it’s the side that will butt up against the wall = no need for any fancy fixing.

We propped everything up on soda cans (shout out to Sun Drop!), then glued the seam where the two tops intersect.  [I found that the Gorilla Wood glue worked perfectly.]  Once dry, I added a nice layer of glue where the plywood will sit, laid it down and screwed it all together.

desk construction 1

Just to be safe, I allowed the ‘T’ to sit overnight and cure.

 

The next day, we installed the legs (2 at the front corners of the small top and 2 at the far end of the long, large top) and anchored it to the wall between the bookshelves using L-brackets.

image1

Come back next week for some far more visually appealing photos as I transform our tired, old black filing console into a chic one of a kind piece!

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s