Before we moved a single item in, we went to work ripping stuff OUT.
To start, the ivory carpet had to go- in this room and in our master bedroom (right off of the great room).
We matched up the existing hardwoods and ran them the opposite direction to break the space up a bit. We also chose to add a decorative border in Brazilian Cherry to make it pop.
The husband, with supervision of a master carpenter [aka my dad], then began building to new fireplace across the room. Materials included lumber, plywood, metal lathing and the existing gas insert.
They sized up the gas insert as well as our surround sound speaker and cut the plywood according to provide a built-in look.
We opted to hire a local professional mason to apply the stone facade. It took 2 1/2 days and cost apprx $800 more to do so, but we knew that it would be done correctly [and much quicker]. It was worth it!
The walls were painted a dark shade of neutral grey called Creek Bend by Behr.
To see the before and afters, check out my Room Tour post!